 Off-Topic / Debate / 3101
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:00:00 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <38830931.919200318@lugnet.com>...
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:30:52 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

I hope it does.  It seems to be a more mature (in terms of societal • evolution)
system of government.  Anarchy would be the most mature, IMO.

Either you're nuts, or you havent read your history books.

Remember what Europe was like when anarchy ruled? Think medieval times
in between Charlemagne, William the Conqueror, etc.. It was _not_ fun.
Even less so than with great dictators.

A societal system needs to be stable to survive. Anarchy is not
statically stable, but it's also not even dynamically stable.

Jasper

   I had to think about what John said for a day or two to know what he
meant.  I am still not sure if I took it the right way, but I don't think he
is nuts.  I think he is saying (and I would agree, if he is) that the
society that could function properly without any form of government would
consist of the most evolved people possible (his words were "most mature in
terms of societal evolution").  In a way, he is saying (well, I am, anyway)
that once human beings (as a society) become fully evolved, there will be no
need for any government whatsoever.  I don't believe people are anywhere
near (and have no way of knowing if they could ever reach) that state of
evolution.  I tend to believe anarchy will never work, because although
humans will always evolve, I doubt they will actually evolve to perfection -
I see that as similar to counting to infiniti.
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady