 Off-Topic / Debate / 3102
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:09:04 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <387ab92e.833168838@lugnet.com>...
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:03:32 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

I like a more objective definition because I hate the trend towards • relativism I
think we are experiencing these days.  If a sociopath considers killing • others
good, is it?  But if good is objective, from who's perspective?  God, who • is by
definition, perfect, and therefore the perfect judge of good and evil. • Discerning
God's perspective of good is another question, but at least the search for • good
extends beyond our mortal and imperfect selves.

Good isn't objective. What we, society as a whole, consider to be
"good" is both up for debate in certain areas (I'm specifically _not_
going to mention ab*rti*n here), and it is no more valid than the
ideas of other societies, other than possibly by virtue of having
survived longer (and objective moralists aren't generally too keen on
defining objective good in terms of Darwinism - are you?).

   I think you are just plain wrong.  Some societies flourish while others
perish because they have a better grasp of the true nature of good (which I
hold is best viewed objectively).  I will leave Darwin out of it.

The Spartans made a habit of leaving unwanted babies in the mountains,
alive, to be torn apart by the wolves. They had a short but highly
successful reign in the first millennium BC. The Romans made a habit
of slavery, and their empire lasted a thousand years. The Vikings made
a habit of making blood eagles out of their enemies: cutting open the
chest, spreading the ribs, and spreading out the guts, lungs, and
heart on the ground beside them. While they were still alive. They
were very successful for a few hundred years. The Borgias made a habit
of political intrigue (and assassinations), which made Venice the most
powerful city in the western world for a hundred years+. The United
States made a habit of racial segregration until, historically
speaking, yesterday, and it made them the most powerful nation on the
planet. Until the Y2K bug killed it off, of course.

   Oh, I missed that.

All of these societies/people considered what they did to be "good".

   And we know that these things weren't good.  I think that is better proff
that good should be viewed objectively rather than subjectively.  To those
people it was good, to us its bad - that is subjective, and obviously there
view was flawed!

Are you saying they were all wrong, all the time, but _we_ are
suddenly right?

   Right?!  I doubt anyone can compeltey sum up good, but I think some of us
are seeing it more clearly than ever before.

I realise that this is not a particularly _nice_ thing to say, but
then, the real world isn't nice.

  Aye.

Jasper
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady