 Off-Topic / Debate / 3159
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 20:30:27 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote in message <386EFFA9.A7755EDC@netscape.com>...
John DiRienzo wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <387ab92e.833168838@lugnet.com>...
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:03:32 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

I like a more objective definition because I hate the trend towards • relativism I
think we are experiencing these days.  If a sociopath considers killing • others
good, is it?  But if good is objective, from who's perspective?  God, • who
is by
definition, perfect, and therefore the perfect judge of good and evil. • Discerning
God's perspective of good is another question, but at least the search • for
good
extends beyond our mortal and imperfect selves.

Good isn't objective. What we, society as a whole, consider to be
"good" is both up for debate in certain areas (I'm specifically _not_
going to mention ab*rti*n here), and it is no more valid than the
ideas of other societies, other than possibly by virtue of having
survived longer (and objective moralists aren't generally too keen on
defining objective good in terms of Darwinism - are you?).

   I think you are just plain wrong.  Some societies flourish while • others
perish because they have a better grasp of the true nature of good (which • I
hold is best viewed objectively).  I will leave Darwin out of it.

Until we have a planetary wide homogeneous society, Good Societies will • ALMOST
NEVER flourish longterm over bad, as history has proven.  They may last a • while,
but sooner or later a "bad" society (more warlike) stomps on them.

   I remember a country named Germany that did that, and stomp they did, but
didn't good prevail?  Maybe I am wrong, but I see America as a good (for the
most part) group of people(1) and nation.  China, I would say, is our
biggest and most threatening enemy, but I seriously doubt they can stomp out
all of our good, without stomping themselves out in the process.  Its when
good countries turn bad, get weak, lose sight of their original ideals (what
made it great), become overun with corruption(2), that some other country
sees an opportunity to attack, and stomps.  I don't want that to happen to
my country, and I think if it continues to regress, those chances of being
stomped will increase, but if the correct choices are made it will continue
to flourish, and be unstompable.

1 - imperfect people striving to be good, doing a better job as a nation
than most nations, IMO
2 - this corruption is the unobvious (to some) evil that attacks a great
nation on the inside, while an outside evil (another nation) attacks from
the outside.

   Thats just me, though.  You don't have to agree, I am sure very few do.
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady