 Off-Topic / Debate / 3126
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 01:50:47 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:00:00 GMT, "John DiRienzo"
<ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:

  I had to think about what John said for a day or two to know what he
meant.  I am still not sure if I took it the right way, but I don't think he
is nuts.  I think he is saying (and I would agree, if he is) that the
society that could function properly without any form of government would
consist of the most evolved people possible (his words were "most mature in
terms of societal evolution").  In a way, he is saying (well, I am, anyway)
that once human beings (as a society) become fully evolved, there will be no
need for any government whatsoever.  I don't believe people are anywhere
near (and have no way of knowing if they could ever reach) that state of
evolution.  I tend to believe anarchy will never work, because although
humans will always evolve, I doubt they will actually evolve to perfection -
I see that as similar to counting to infiniti.

Hmmmm. If that _is_ what he is saying, I would tend to agree.

But I personally would tend to place strict libertarianism as quite
close to anarchy on that scale (strict libertarianism, after all, is
just anarchy with "something" (not the government, but apparently a
higher power) defining certain rights, but with no way to enforce
compliance...). And we're nowhere _near_ ready for it.

Jasper