 Off-Topic / Debate / 27361
Re: Screw Abstinence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:02:02 GMT

   If you want to be precise I would suggest looking up the dictionary definition of support. To support means precisely what you argue the NARAL does. You are confusing support with encourage.

Perhaps I am, now that you mention it.

But then I would still phrase it this way: NARAL supports (def 7b at YourDictionary.com) the right of reproductive choice. As a result, NARAL supports the right to have an abortion if one so chooses and NARAL supports the right not to have an abortion if one so chooses.

It’s fallaciously selective to argue that NARAL supports any single choice in a range of choices without also mentioning the other choices in that range.

If I say “I support the right of choice in all things,” I need not therefore support every possible resultant choice: merely the right of choice itself.

Yes but in the context of this argument it is irrelevant whether or not the implicit support also applies to other things, in a debate on abortion it is the stance on abortion that is most important.

That said, I somewhat agree with bringing up the support for not aborting as it implies that the NARAL have a broader legal outlook than those who support the restriction of abortion. The position of the ‘pro-life’ advocates can be somewhat encompassed under the policies of the NARAL.

   The moment you bring in “in my book” (or “in the holy text of my choice”) you are talking about ethics or morality.

Good call--shame on me for imprecision. Let’s try that again:

Absent convincing evidence or argument to the contrary, there is no evidence that a fetus has the ability to choose, prior to the onset of higher brain function. In weighing the right to choose, what is the argument that the choice of an entity incapable of choice should trump the choice of an entity capable of choice?

This is the most convincing argument for abortion I have heard although the cutoff point for it is fuzzy so it can only be validly applied for a limited time span. I’m not really sure of the various arguments put forth by the anti-abortion lobby on this as it seems to be a mostly US debate nowadays.

   I should have added the smiley too.

Either way their is no naturalistic argument for reproductive choice or restriction thereof. There are only moral and ethical arguments.

I would argue that a choice made as a result of preference (“preference” resulting from naturalistic causes, such as an organism’s experiences and genetic predispositions, for example) descends from naturalistic causes and therefore can be argued as such.

If you disagree, can you cite an example of a naturalistic argument for or against any choice?

I give naturalistic reasons for just about any choice. It is the innate problem of the naturalistic argument. By naturalistic arguments murder, rape and other crimes can be easily excused.

Tim