 Off-Topic / Debate / 27349
Re: Screw Abstinence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 02:32:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I’m curious about how folks weigh in on this event.

   This article is not talking about the Left, it is talking about supporters of abortion throwing an event.

At the risk of splitting hairs, I have to take issue with your choice of words here. NARAL does not support abortion but instead supports the right of reproductive choice.

To say that NARAL supports abortion is like saying that the NRA supports the gunfire murder of schoolchildren.

Dave!

By supporting a system which allows for abortion I would argue that they are indeed supporting abortion.

Again, your selection of words is questionable. NARAL supports a system that allows for reproductive choice. It’s true that choice may allow for abortion, but it also allows for non-abortion; why do you condemn NARAL for one avenue of choice but not another? If they advocate a system of choice, then by your argument they are in some way responsible for all choices made under that system.

I can think of another example wherein choice is so highly valued that it’s even more important than salvation. Since God clearly supports a system (i.e., free will; i.e., choice) that allows for abortion, does he thereby support abortion?

If so, then it’s hard to see how such a system of choice can, in itself, be wrong.

For the record, I am atheist, and I have no idea of your faith. However, I recognize the value of a deity-figure as a metaphor, and that’s how I use God here.

   One group believe that abortion is immoral, the other group believe that disallowing abortion is immoral. It’s merely two moral standpoints with clever marketing.

Again, I’d rephrase this. One side supports the intrusion of government into choices of reproductive freedom, while the other side rejects that intrusion.

It needn’t be exclusively about morality; it’s also a matter of liberty.

   As for your analogy, if the NRA supported the right of murderous choices it would be valid but as it stands it is not.

Once again, I reject your framing of the issue. The NRA supports the right of private citizens to bear arms. The NRA makes no argument in favor of willful violence, and willful violence enacted by a gun-owner is not the fault of the NRA.

NARAL supports the right of private citizens to control their reproductive freedom. Decisions made based upon that right are not teh responsibility of NARAL.

   That said I do support abortion and I believe that arms should be very strictly controlled. I also think that the people organising this event are hell bent on harming their own cause.

Well, abstinence is an incredibly modern notion, evolutionarily speaking, so I’d argue that people have said “screw abstinence” for quite a long time already.

I find the whole event a trifle silly, but no more silly than the “Silver Ring Thing,” for example.

Dave!