 Off-Topic / Debate / 27360
Re: Screw Abstinence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:45:25 GMT

   The question is where you want to draw the line. Most pro-choice advocates aren’t asking for abortions 21 days before due.

But they want the right to do it if they choose.

Oh? I didn’t think that was what was desired. I could believe that there are some out there who would be in favor of it, but I think in general, they’re talking abortions within the first few months of pregnancy. Correct me if I’m wrong, of course-- but I’ve always been under the impression that the debate was over early pregnancy abortions. IE, “oops, I found out I’m pregnant, I’ll get an abortion” rather than “I’ve known I was pregnant for almost 8 months now, and JUST now I’m deciding I want an abortion after all”. I’ve typically considered the pro-life campaign as advocating “no abortions, ever! It doesn’t matter how far along the pregnancy is, no abortions!”

   The right to choose what? Do I have a right to choose to murder you? You could argue “yes”, but I don’t see any value in that proposition, because I have no right to actually deprive you of your right to life.

Both true! You have a right to choose to murder me, but my right to life trumps your right to choose. If I didn’t have that right, you could choose to murder me all you wanted, it’d be your right.

   There’s a mental image for ya...yeeouch:-0

It would certainly change things a lot at the Ikea factory, too.

   But in your office furniture example, you conveniently omit the “life” issue, and so the “choice” issue crystallizes nicely.

Actually, it was more than convenient, it was the entire point of the example :) Effectively, we can examine whether or not there is a right to choose if we remove life from the picture. Clearly, when life isn’t involved, the right to choose exists, hence, I think it always exists, it just has the potential to pale in comparison to a living being’s right to live.

   This, in a nutshell, is the rub of the abortion debate.

Yep! Does a woman’s right to choose overrule the fetus’s right to live? And as you can probably infer, I’d say “it depends on how develped the fetus is”. My impression of pro-lifers is that they’d ALWAYS say “no”.

DaveE