 Off-Topic / Debate / 27359
Re: Screw Abstinence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:22:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   But our government supports a system of protecting the rights of its citizens-- the real debate isn’t whose choice it is, but rather whether or not the fetus has rights which need protecting by the government.

Um-- I wouldn’t call them citizens, but yes, to protect the rights of people in general.

   Obviously, 1 second after birth and even before the chord is cut, the mother cannot suddenly decide to abort. That would be murder. The only real difference between that newborn baby and himself 3 weeks prior is physical location in relation to the mother. So rights are somehow tied to locality???

Are abortions legal 3 weeks prior to the due date?

Prior to any late-term abortion legislation restricting it (not doubt opposed by NARAL), yes, in theory.

   I didn’t think that was allowed? You’re right insofar as the line needs to be drawn. Otherwise, one could argue that every time you have protected sex, you’re killing a baby.

Yes. I’m not in the “every sperm is sacred” camp;-)

   The question is where you want to draw the line. Most pro-choice advocates aren’t asking for abortions 21 days before due.

But they want the right to do it if they choose.

   It’s all about rights, and when/if the fetus has any. If the fetus hasn’t any rights, then the government has no stake in the matter. If the fetus does, then the government is obligated to protect them. “The right to choose” is a fiction-- there is no such “right”.

The right to choose is most certainly a right.

The right to choose what? Do I have a right to choose to murder you? You could argue “yes”, but I don’t see any value in that proposition, because I have no right to actually deprive you of your right to life.

   I’m quite sure you don’t want to argue that. What I think you want to argue is that one’s right to choose in NO way overrules the fetus’ right to live, despite the fact that both rights exist. One simply carries more weight. If sex produced office furniture in 9 months, I’m sure you’d argue that women would have the right to decide to abort their furniture when it was still kindling.

There’s a mental image for ya...yeeouch:-0

But in your office furniture example, you conveniently omit the “life” issue, and so the “choice” issue crystallizes nicely. This, in a nutshell, is the rub of the abortion debate.

JOHN