 Off-Topic / Debate / 27246
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Cycle 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 05:46:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jake McKee wrote:

As I said a number of times during the first cycle - we don’t recruit, and if no one applies from Panama, then there’s not going to be a Panamanian LEGO Ambassador.

Richie was upset because I said “The application pool spanned the globe”

Well, I wasn’t upset because you said that, I was upset because the ambassadors didn’t do the same.

   My apologies for apparently misrepresenting. No, there were no applications from South America, for instance, and very few applications from all of Asia. I didn’t mean to offend anyone by my statement, I was just trying to impart that the applications came from a healthy spread outside of the US. If all of this discussion comes down to a simple semantics conversation, then huge apologies for not thinking through what I was saying.

You certainly didn’t offend me by the statement. I thought it was great that applications spanned the globe. And disappointed that it turns out they didn’t.

   I’ve known well before launching this program that no matter how the country spread broke out in each cycle, there was always going to be someone who was upset. Therefore, when designing the program, I decided that the first criteria before all others was to select the best group of candidates based on their applications. Now, if there was a 12 way tie, then perhaps location could help provide a tie-breaker, certainly. But the idea was to select the best community leaders, the best communicators, the best community representatives. This program was not meant to create a LEGO community version of the United Nations.

Possibly not, but the one bit of information you gave out about the ambassadors, besides their name and whether they were returning or new, *was* their geographic location (and origin, in some cases). Why was that? Why not give their Lego interests, their club affiliations, their committee memberships or their age?

   Richie said in another thread: “Maybe it should increase to cover the non euro-north america crowd?”

I would love that! But it’s not up to me to make that happen - again, it’s not for me to recruit and selection is not based solely on geographic location.

Hang on – you said location wasn’t important, didn’t you? Now you’re saying it is not based *solely* on geographic location. How do you reconcile those two claims?

   If you believe this needs expand to “non euro-north america”, then I would strongly recommend that YOU recruit and encourage community leaders to step forward and apply. If you think that South America or Japan or Korea or Russia is under represented, by all means contact fans there and try to encourage them to apply. I’ll give them the exact same treatment in the selection process that I give anyone else.

Are you saying that there were no suitable applications from “non euro-north america”? Or are you saying there needs to be some critical mass from a region before ambassadorships are awarded? If there *were* suitable applications from non euro-north America, how far out of the final selection were they? If there were 50 places, would they have been in, for instance.

Please don’t misconstrue what I’m saying. I acknowledge the right of Lego and you to select ambassadors however you like. That is fine. I’m not demanding representation, and I don’t want to be an ambassador. What riles me is you giving conflicting information about the process, and you claiming the process is something that it appears is not.

Cheers

Richie Dulin