 Off-Topic / Debate / 27245
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Cycle 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 03:06:57 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I’m not accusing them, I am accusing their employers. Don’t accuse me of characterising people when I have said absolutely nothing about anyone. It seems to me you are just using this thread as an excuse to namedrop.

I know it might be nearly impossible to believe, but I’ll say it anyway - the group responsible for this program is much much smaller than you might believe. I know that when you talk about a company, any company, it’s extremely easy to turn it into a cold, faceless group where there’s really only one thinking entity, every person moving in step with everyone else. But the reality is that TLG, like any other company is made up of small teams, each team charged with a series of tasks. Some of those tasks require sign off from the higher ups, and in very very rare circumstances, sign off from the CEO. Most of them don’t.

In the case of the Ambassador program, this was something that I developed. I worked with Jan (and now Steve) to bounce ideas off of, as well as getting the green light and support from my boss (Tormod). But that’s quite literally as far as the decision making process went when building and running this program. And that’s even making it sound like there were more people involved. I have an amazing boss - a boss who trusts what I do and think. When I came to him with the idea for Ambassadors, he basically said, great! Run with it!

And to be certain, I’m probably the person in the company who understands the AFOLs the best. If someone tried to change Ambassadors to something I didn’t agree with, there’s not a chance in this world I’d just roll over. (My wife, mostly lovingly, calls me “Bulldog”)

   The Ambassadors program is run by TLC and paid for by TLC, I’m sure if TLC said concentrate on certain regions they would do so. I know if my workplace was giving me money to do something and I did something else they wouldn’t be happy and I can only assume the TLC is the same.

If by TLC you mean “Jake”, then yes. But literally, I’m in charge of this program. “TLC”, including my boss, has never once told me to change anything for any reason, much less to concentrate on one area versus another.

If you don’t like how’s the program is running, the blame lays on my shoulders. If you asked my boss about it, or if you asked Jorgen Vig, or Kjeld, they’d turn to me and pass the discussion back to me - namely because they know that I know more about the community than they do, and trust that I’m doing good things for both groups. (Ever heard me say my mantra? :)) This isn’t meant to try to make myself sound important, it’s meant to clearly show that this program isn’t run by some “machine” or “cog” inside the company. It’s run by one guy, a guy you already know.

   There are only one or two Japanese AFOLs who participate in the forums I follow, and they do so rarely. I know of no Korean, Chinese, Malay, Fillipino (except for Fradel), or Indonesian AFOLs on Lugnet. If they aren’t on Lugnet or LEGOFan, how would they have heard about the Ambassador program and applied for it? Keep in mind that the Ambassadors can only select from those people who apply, and the program doesn’t recruit.

-Lenny

I know of plenty of Australian AFOLs on Lugnet. At least a couple of NZers too. So we are down to a choice of 23 million fluent English speaking people with a large number of AFOLs, some of whom I’m sure applied.

As I said a number of times during the first cycle - we don’t recruit, and if no one applies from Panama, then there’s not going to be a Panamanian LEGO Ambassador.

Richie was upset because I said “The application pool spanned the globe”

My apologies for apparently misrepresenting. No, there were no applications from South America, for instance, and very few applications from all of Asia. I didn’t mean to offend anyone by my statement, I was just trying to impart that the applications came from a healthy spread outside of the US. If all of this discussion comes down to a simple semantics conversation, then huge apologies for not thinking through what I was saying.

I’ve known well before launching this program that no matter how the country spread broke out in each cycle, there was always going to be someone who was upset. Therefore, when designing the program, I decided that the first criteria before all others was to select the best group of candidates based on their applications. Now, if there was a 12 way tie, then perhaps location could help provide a tie-breaker, certainly. But the idea was to select the best community leaders, the best communicators, the best community representatives. This program was not meant to create a LEGO community version of the United Nations.

Someone mentioned that we (meaning those who selected the Ambassadors, which really means me) purposely are ignoring Asia and other parts of the world. This is patently untrue. And again, this isn’t some “corporate directive” coming down from on high about how to split up the selection. The decision making process rested on my shoulders and my shoulders alone. When I had the final list, I shared it with three people before announcing: Jan, Steve, and my boss Tormod. All three had a couple minor follow-up questions, but not one person asked me to make changes.

So, if you think that *I’m* ignoring Asia or anywhere else, we can certainly talk about that, preferably offline. But the reality is that simply is not true.

Richie said in another thread: “Maybe it should increase to cover the non euro-north america crowd?”

I would love that! But it’s not up to me to make that happen - again, it’s not for me to recruit and selection is not based solely on geographic location. If you believe this needs expand to “non euro-north america”, then I would strongly recommend that YOU recruit and encourage community leaders to step forward and apply. If you think that South America or Japan or Korea or Russia is under represented, by all means contact fans there and try to encourage them to apply. I’ll give them the exact same treatment in the selection process that I give anyone else.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison