 Off-Topic / Debate / 25126
Re: What's the point of wearing rubber gloves...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:41:14 GMT

Well, on that I agree completely.  I see it as connected to the
swifferization of the culture and its antibacterial obsession, as if that's
a fight that can ever be won.

Nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

Oddly, I'm not really an advocate of gloves in food service because I know
that they become contaminated as fast as hands and in my experience they're
cleaned (well, changed) less often.

Gloves do have the advantage that it's easier to notice when someone didn't
change them after hitting the restroom or hauling out a bin full of skanky
rotting trash.  When I worked at McD's, I saw people walk up to the sink, turn
on the water, and still walk away with dry hands.  But yeah, people will scratch
their heads and rub their faces, either way.

As long as the hands in question are reasonably clean, I don't mind,

I dont' either, but I worked two years at McD's, and I know that a good portion
of the people who handle your food are there because they can't get any other
job.  Those are often the people who make a point of not washing their hands
specifically because The Man is telling them to do so.

but I can't abide a big exhalation across the surface that's about to handle
my food.

Technically, when they're blowing up the gloves, they're not blowing on the
surface you need to care about.