 Off-Topic / Debate / 25119
Re: What's the point of wearing rubber gloves...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:05:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

Dude, you guys are creeping me out.  Are you all serious?

Heh.

I've calmed down some since yesterday, so maybe I should cry "hyperbole" as my
defense and leave it at that...

This isn't about germs and hygiene.  It's about the kind of world I want to live
in.  A world where people aren't afraid of being the dying in the mud organisms
that we really are.  I still can't figure out how to really say what I mean but
I think the trend toward this faux-uber-hygiene is dehumanizing for all of us.

Well, on that I agree completely.  I see it as connected to the swifferization
of the culture and its antibacterial obsession, as if that's a fight that can
ever be won.

And dave, to follow the claim that you're not "fluid-o-phobic" by pointing out
that you cared enough to list your fixation on your profile and then equate oral
glove inflation to urinating on your food seems a little um...mistaken.  My
mother, contrary to the advice her alergist has provided has also become
germ-whacko.  Seems a sad path.

Oddly, I'm not really an advocate of gloves in food service because I know that
they become contaminated as fast as hands and in my experience they're cleaned
(well, changed) less often.  As long as the hands in question are reasonably
clean, I don't mind, but I can't abide a big exhalation across the surface
that's about to handle my food.  I think it's not much different from the
unpleasantness of finding a big hair in your sandwich--it's just a question of
degree.

But all things being equal, I'd *still* rather the guy didn't pee on my
sandwich.

Dave!