 Off-Topic / Debate / 25118
Re: What's the point of wearing rubber gloves...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:48:14 GMT

Holey moley, did you just hit a hot-button for me!  I'm not fluid-o-phobic, but
in most circumstances don't care to have other people's DNA deposited on me or
my food or my purchases without my express permission (I even mention this as an
"I hate" item on my LUGNET profile).  Especially bothersome to me is when a food
service worker has trouble opening his mylar glove, so he puts the wrist-end to
his mouth and blows in it to inflate it.  I mean, why not just urinate on my
sandwich, while you're at it?

Dude, you guys are creeping me out.  Are you all serious?  Man, I'd much, much
prefer to have a human touching my food than some rubber-gloved freak.  I've
held off on posting until now because I can't find my words.

This isn't about germs and hygiene.  It's about the kind of world I want to live
in.  A world where people aren't afraid of being the dying in the mud organisms
that we really are.  I still can't figure out how to really say what I mean but
I think the trend toward this faux-uber-hygiene is dehumanizing for all of us.
You know, when there's not some known threat that needs to be quarantined, a
quick washing with some anti-bacterial soap seems like more than enough for food
service.  Your entire system is designed to protect you from the minor
infectuous organisms that you encounter on a daily basis as you eat.

And dave, to follow the claim that you're not "fluid-o-phobic" by pointing out
that you cared enough to list your fixation on your profile and then equate oral
glove inflation to urinating on your food seems a little um...mistaken.  My
mother, contrary to the advice her alergist has provided has also become
germ-whacko.  Seems a sad path.

Chris