 Off-Topic / Debate / 25114
Re: What's the point of wearing rubber gloves...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:36:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pete White wrote:
It's also funny (maybe not) when sandwich-makers used their gloved hand to
take your money and return change, then return to sandwich production.

I have, thankfully, never experienced that (at least not that I can recall).
The closest I've seen is when they tend the register before removing the gloves,
but the gloves ultimately end up being discarded before they get back to the
food line.  The worst that you'll get then is that your money might have mustard
on it.

I hate to think what lurks on paper money passed from hand to hand, though in
Australia we have plasticised notes, which may lessen the risk (slightly ?).

Only if it's a non-porous plastic or has an anti-bacterial additive.  Besides,
not all natural materials are bacteria-havens.  One of the benefits of using oak
for furniture is that it has a high acid content, which helps curb such growths.
Granted, cotton probably doesn't do a thing in that regard, but some of the
other chemicals and such that are used might.

There has been some items in the media recently about doctors' neckties......

Heh.  All I know is that it's hazardous to wear a necktie to a birthing...

I have respect for food industry workers as well, but from anecdotes I have
heard from workers in the canned fruit, bread-making and fast food
industries, we would probably die if we knew what ends up in our mouths.
Accidental contamination is different to wilful contamination.

I have a friend who worked in a cheese-making plant, and they had guidelines on
how much contamination was allowed from dead insects and bird droppings before
it was considered unusable.  I also heard something about how as makers of swiss
cheese improved the cleanliness of their production process, the bubbles kept
getting smaller, and they ultimately realized they came from cow-pie
contamination (they've figured out artificial means of introducing bubbles
rather than going back to the "tried and true" method).  But yeah, I worked
grill at McD's for two years in high school, and I've seen a few disgusting
things.  Nothing to do with direct introduction of bodily fluids, mind you, but
gloves weren't required back then, and managers would give you grief if you
ended up throwing away a lot of food because it fell on the floor...