 Off-Topic / Debate / 20584
Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:14:05 GMT

How exactly is what you are advocating different from cosigning discrimination?

useful definitions:
discrimination -- treatment or consideration based on class or category
rather than individual merit
prejudice -- irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or
religion.

It seems to me that free speech is no longer free speech, but a mere
unrealized potential freedom.  Too bad most media is owned by a few
conglomerates, huh?  I guess this is the kind of thing the FCC and the govt.
in general is supposed to help us avoid.  According to your stance, Lar --
it would be okay for Mercator (or whomever?) to fire you based on opinions
you have expressed in this forum.  I am pretty sure this is called
discrimination.  I invite you to show me how I am wrong about this issue.

BTW Costello, that ball player is a despicable @$$****, but I don't think he
should have been dismissed because of his beliefs.  I uphold the right of
anyone, no matter how distasteful their views may be, to have their own
unique views on things.  Unfortunately, and as times passes, our society is
less tolerant of intolerance.  A slight catch-22 there, I realize.  Your man
doesn't have a case because there isn't a jury in this country that would
enable his message of hate.

-- Hop-Frog