 Off-Topic / Debate / 20579
Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:50:35 GMT

Free speech isn't free. It has costs. Mr. Robbins ought to be wearing those
costs as a badge of honor, not shirking them.

I was yesterday reminded of the case of John Rocker. For those of you that
aren't familiar with Rocker's situation, he was a star closing pitcher for
the Atlanta Braves, very popular and highly regarded with the organization.
In a Sports Illustrated cover story interview he made several remarks that
were very disparaging to minorities and single mothers. The result of that
interview was a huge fine being levied by the league and suspension by his
team. He has since been traded and bounced around between the minors and
major leagues, but his career has never been the same. Where is anyone
defending Rocker's borderline racist remarks? Yes he was free to say what he
said, but no he was not free from the consequences of those words.

And I don't know about smarts, but I do know that I am a better singer than
Larry :)

Scott