 Off-Topic / Debate / 20367
  Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

"Countering a Wave of Hate" (URL) Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) What a whiner, I fully agree that death threats and attacks on his children are uncalled for, but freedom of speach is not free. You are free to say whatever you like, but you are not free from the consequences of your words. When Mr. Robbins (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) Spot on, Scott. This is why Mr. Robbins should stick to acting rather than pretending to be a deep, political commentator and victim, because he doesn't know what he is talking about. He thinks his First Amendment rights are being violated (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) Precisely. Well said, Scott. But Mr. Robbins isn't a deep enough thinker to understand what you (and others) are telling him. He'd rather just whine about how now everyone is out to get him. I don't see HIM standing up to defend the rights of (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) Ah, the true colors show at last. What media does a voice of dissent have access to when people are worried about how to feed themselves when the likes of Clear Channel and Fox control what they may say? You're saying it's okay for people to (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) Oh? He is not? I suppose you are smarter than him? Because, as far as I know, Mr. Robbins is a respected person in Holywood precisely because he is a very intelligent and smart person. If you can threat people because of what they say, then (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

Coming back to a loose end... let me preface this by saying that I happen to agree with much of what Mr. Robbins said in his speech to the national press club about the dangers that americans face. Ashcroft is prima facia scary... The Patriot Act (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) I was yesterday reminded of the case of John Rocker. For those of you that aren't familiar with Rocker's situation, he was a star closing pitcher for the Atlanta Braves, very popular and highly regarded with the organization. In a Sports (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes: <snip> (...) I'd like to be there for that competition! Dave K (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) Er, no you don't... You merely know that I chose not to make that particular finding clear one way or another. :-) (any flattery I may have uttered at the time notwithstanding) (URL) to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

How exactly is what you are advocating different from cosigning discrimination? useful definitions: discrimination -- treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit prejudice -- irrational suspicion or hatred of a (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tim Robbins "Countering a Wave of Hate"

(...) The difference being that he signed a contract that included (as apparently many major league contracts do) a clause about his conduct off the field as a representative of the Braves. I'd have to go digging in news archives to get the exact (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)