 Off-Topic / Debate / 20164
    It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Richard Marchetti
   (URL) showing that article to my SO, she asked if I thought Shrub actually believed this stuff or if he was just trying to gain greater access to a particular constituency group. My answer? See subject line. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Dave Schuler
     (...) Well, if we absolutely must have a mad theocrat in office, I'd certainly want the mad theocrat with God on his side. Pity that the rock of W's faith wasn't sufficient to keep him on the straight and narrow in 1992, fully 6 years after his (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Scott Costello
   I am glad you posted this, I was just listening to a British author who recently wrote a book that explains Blairs involvement in this war, I can't recall his name. He basically layed out what this article displays. The UK tends to be a much more (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) Idunno, is Britain a more secular society? Not officially of course, the state and the church are the same vs. separation of church and state, but in practice? Many do want that "God Bless America", but in Britain some like to think that God (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Simon Bennett
      (...) The examples you give there come from quite a long time ago, I think things have changed. Having lived in both countries I would say that Britain (at least the part I live in, the South East) is hugely more secular than most of the US. Having (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Richie Dulin
     In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd writes: <snip> (...) <snip> Isn't this true also of a fairly large group of North Americans? Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God On England's pleasant pastures seen? Not to that extent. :-) Of course, all the nutcases left Britain (were urged towards the exit) and came (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Richie Dulin
     (...) These are questions, not statements - and the words to a hymn, not the declarations of a faith! (...) I don't know: Didn't Jesus visit people in the North America after his resurrection, and organise a church there? Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) No! Really? And you think I would have known that with those really obvious question marks at the ends of the lines! ;-) There were those in Britain that *wanted* to believe that (whether they actually believed it I couldn't say). I only quote (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Richie Dulin
     (...) What is really odd, is that Glastonbury was Joseph of Aramathea's holiday destination of choice! (Note that I've never been to Glastonbury, and it may, in fact be a nice place to holiday. It just doesn't seem very convenient to Nazareth (or (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Richard Marchetti
     It would seem to me that the problem with apocalyptic beliefs is that they may tend to inspire the fulfillment of the prophecies upon which they are based. If the apocalytpic visions could be taken as a metaphor for wanting a better world, then I (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense. —Dave Schuler
   (...) David Koresh and Andrea Yates sought strength and guidance from prayer, as do (presumably) Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. So did the Templars and the Inquisition. That is *not* an indictment of faith in its own right, but it does point (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)