 Off-Topic / Debate / 20171
Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:41:30 GMT

It would seem to me that the problem with apocalyptic beliefs is that they
may tend to inspire the fulfillment of the prophecies upon which they are
based.  If the apocalytpic visions could be taken as a metaphor for wanting
a better world, then I would have less of a problem -- I mean, who doesn't
want a better world?

Here in the states we have a lot of religious fanatics of one kind or
another.  Keep in mind we americans are the reject "believers" of old Europe
-- we are the cultural descendants of puritans so irritating that nobody
else was disposed to putting up with them.  And while both Europe and the
colonies had their respective versions of the whole Inquisition/Witch
Hunting thing, I don't know that I have ever heard of the "Red Scare" or of
something akin to McCarthyism existing in Europe in more recent times.
Perhaps I am just poorly informed.

Anyway, whatever happened to the Church of Copious Sex, Free Beer, and a
Long Life?  I want to defect to the country whose politics are based on
those ethics.

-- Hop-Frog