 Off-Topic / Debate / 20173
Re: It's scarier if he actually believes his own nonsense.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:51:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
I am glad you posted this, I was just listening to a British author who
recently wrote a book that explains Blairs involvement in this war, I can't
recall his name. He basically layed out what this article displays. The UK
tends to be a much more secular society than the US. The United States was
founded on Christian principles, and many of us still desire that "God bless
America". This author, however, talks about an inert distrust of deeply
religious people within the UK and much of the rest of Europe.

So while this article was a gross exaduration, Bush does have a great deal
of religious faith, and often seeks strength and guidance from prayer. I for
one am greatly comforted by that fact.

  David Koresh and Andrea Yates sought strength and guidance from prayer, as
do (presumably) Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.  So did the Templars and
the Inquisition.
  That is *not* an indictment of faith in its own right, but it does point
out the danger in equating a leader's "devotion to faith" with "something to
take comfort in."

     Dave!