 Off-Topic / Debate / 20120
Re: Newspeak 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:11:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

And to the Turkish citizens throwing things at the people trying to retrieve
errant missiles - SHAME on you.  A major reason for retrieval is to help
figure out WHY they were errant (of course naysayers will say they were
retrieved so that other countries could not harvest the technology - while
this is a true concern, stopping it from happening again in the future is
the main concern).

Tom, I know yourself as one of the most reasonable guys here, much more than
most of the other guys here including myself.

But Iwhat you are doing right now is trying to rationalize the things in a
wrong way, I believe.

Just imagine:

Some company dropped a cruise missile in your backyard by mistake, actually
no one harmed - just by extreme luck, not even it detonated, but you still
have a crater in your garden big enough that you can bury your whole family
members in without facing any difficulties.

Wouldn't your first instinct to beat some representatives from the same
company, whoever appears first knocking your front door to collect their scrap?

What I think a shame on us is 14 of these protesters are on court right now.

Oh, and BTW, errant missiles count for less than 1% of the ones launched.
In just about ANY technology I can think of, a < 1% failure rate is pretty
good.

Imagine the hypotetical cruise missile mentioned above was one in a million,
not even one in a hundred, would it be still pretty good?

Selçuk