 Off-Topic / Debate / 20117
20116  |  20118
Subject:
GPS JAMMERS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:11:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> writes:

So what have I missed?  Are we not at war with Iraq?  If we kill them
we are "liberating" Iraq, or "engaging" the enemy.  If they kill us
it is "terrorism."

No way!  Are you saying that the word "terrorism" is misused to
discredit the enemy?  I am shocked!

Another interesting term is "precision bombing".  The US government has
officially apologized to the Iranian government for US missiles hitting
Iranian soil.  They were obviously intended for Iraqi targets.
Apparantly, some have hit Saudi Arabia as well.  I think that to apply
the word "precision" to a weapon system makes little sense, when some
war heads don't even hit the correct country.

Didn't some of those missiles (GPS guided) go awry while GPS jammers (sold
and serviced by Russian companies, as it turns out... probably because they
underbid the French) were being deployed? You can't fault the missiles
directly for that.

You certainly can fault firing them, though, if it was known GPS jammers
were operational, I suppose. But forgive the military planners that assumed
that a putative ally wouldn't allow such sales to an enemy... Silly them.

My understanding was that it was claimed GPS "jammers" made no impact. In fact,
[IRC] it was claimed a GPS weapon was used to destroy them ... I only wonder
why they were destroyed if they had no impact? ;)

The best estimate I've read is that the impact is very limited:

From CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/09/24/weapons.shepperd.cnna/index.html
==+==
When you go in downtown Baghdad, in populated areas, and you want to hit a
military vehicle that is next to a hospital, you want it to be very, very
accurate. You want a 5-meter bomb. And if it is jammed, and goes to 15- or
20-meter, it could affect the accuracy. So Saddam Hussein has to think that by
jamming it, it could divert some of our weapons into his populated areas, if he
cares.
==+==

So that's 10-15m [30-45 feet] off-target [1] - not a whole country!

Off course, Blix never had any of these problems. :-/

Scott A

[1] well within the blast radius as far as civilians are concerned