 Off-Topic / Debate / 20092
Re: Newspeak 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:26:37 GMT

So what have I missed?  Are we not  at war with Iraq?  If we kill them we
are "liberating" Iraq, or "engaging" the enemy.  If they kill us it is
"terrorism."

This is an easy one, when an organized military wearing the uniforms, and
flags of the country they represent acts based on declared military
intentions, that is "engagement".

When men dressed as civilians feign surrender before they fire on a group,
or blows up a car when assistance is offered, or murders innocent women for
simply waving at coalition forces, or uses the chemical or biological
weapons that they say they don't have; that is "terrorism".

No you are no less dead either way, but evil men like the Iraqi regime, seem
to care little about how that is accomplished.

Here are a couple more terms I have some trouble coming to grips with coming
out of the anti-war crowd

- "Rush to war" at worst this war was 12 years in the making, at best 14
months, neither justify a "rush" in my mind.

- "unilateral" The root of this word is uni - meaning one or single, Even if
you feel this war is just the US and UK that would be "bilateral" but then
the Aussies are involved too, "trilateral"? what is the term for 45 nations
participating?

Scott C.