 Off-Topic / Debate / 19205
  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: <snips for comedic effect> (...) That would be redundant. JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) That would be redundant. Dave! (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) You can say that again. JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Nah, that would be redundant. Dave! (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) That made me smile. Reminded me of so many 'Hawkeye' moments from MASH. Thanks Dave K (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) :-) Reminds me of one of my favorite quotations by Mark Twain: "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself." JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) All seriousness aside, I think I owe my incorrigible propensity to punning to watching Hawkeye and Groucho in my formative years:-) JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Neal writes: <snip> (...) Oh my goodness--last nights ep. of MASH is when that film crew was at the 4077th and Hawkeye 'took over' production. He and Trapper did the whole Groucho/Harpo thing (mostly with Radar as (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Groucho is the man! Anyone who hasn't seen Duck Soup has no business commenting on politics! Dave! (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Ah, "Yankee Doodle Doctor." A fine piece of celluloid. Much of Hawkeye's routine in that episode is a direct homage to Groucho in "A Day at the Races," worth seeing despite some racial issues[1] that may be uncomfortable to modern viewers. (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Crikey! How can 2 people see things so differently and so yet be so synoptic?? No Dave!-- you da man:-) JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) MASH did a pretty good 'racial' episode, in which a wounded soldier didn't want blood from 'those people'. Hawkeye sedated him and he and BJ took some dye and coloured the unconsious soldiers' skin a darker colour... Was a bit of a wake-up (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Mike Farrell <shudder> Actually, when M*A*S*H* started getting preachy is about when the series jumped the shark IMO. Charles was a poor foil, and Margaret mellowed too much after Frank left. It is interesting to watch the original movie and (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Shame on both of you! Trapper John was the accomplice in that episode! Synoptic, indeed! Dave! (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) (stab in the dark) How do you feel about the Alan Parsons Project? JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Love the movie--did Robert Duvall pull of Frank--it was perfect. Frank in the series was too fake--there were some good bits, but overall, I found Frank to be too over-the-top. Trapper was great, but I also liked BJ--that's a tough one. And (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) D'oh! That particular ep I haven't seen in such a long time--just remember the overview--my bad! Dave K (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) I like some stuff, but I'm not a huge fan. I believe Parsons engineered Pink Floyd's album "The Dark Side of the Moon," of which I'm quite fond... Dave! (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) I know that Parsons engineered one or more of Floyd's albums--my friend, the Pink Floyd 'freak' would know which one(s)--I'll ask him. I'm a fan of Floyd, my favourite being 'Momentary Lapse..." as well as "Division Bell", which had the same (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Oh, he most definitely produced Dark Side of the Moon, one of the greatest rock albums ever IMO. JOHN (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) I can't remember album titles off the top of my head... But a group that comes up with Obscured by Clouds Animals Umbagummba (that's spelled soooo way off... lemmee check the 'net...) Ummagumma (I was close... ;) ) A Saucerful of Secrets Atom (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) My biggest beef with MASH is that it was rather blatant in its bias, and worse, it was good enough that it made Alan Alda and Mike Farrell (useful idiots both) and other fellow travelers shedfuls of cash. But it's a pretty funny show (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) The MASH movie, as intended by the director, wasn't suppose to mention that it took place in Korea at all to 'blur' the line between thinking it was about Korea or about Vietnam. Another interesting tid-bit about the movie was that there was (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: **snip of some stuff, including a good reminder about North Korea*** (...) It should be remembered that one can (or can prefer to) watch a program without swallowing its "message" hook, line, and (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: <snip> (...) Or when Harry Morgan was cast as a 'crazy general guy' and, like 4 episodes later-ish, he was the commanding officer of the 4077th. Think anyone would notice that? There was a website I (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Well then they must have said something about Hawkeye making some remark about credit cards-- which I don't believe were around during the Korean war. Maggie C. (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Ugly John also played Captain Muldoon, in a later-series one-shot in which the doctors had to run Rosie's Bar while she recovered from cracked ribs. They played Revolving Asians, too. Mako portrayed three different roles that I can think of, (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) It would also be a mistake to think that they weren't at least unconsciously influenced by it... (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  MASH Goofs--Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: <snip> (...) Here's a site that I came across when this topic came up (URL) has a good list of goofs--I think the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) probably has another such list. Regardless of (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare

(...) Perhaps it's a case of the program showing what the viewers wanted to see, so that the program was in turn influenced by the viewership? This is obviously similar to The West Wing. I haven't seen even one second of that show, but does it (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)