 Off-Topic / Debate / 17958
  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Well you seemed to have figured that out (again?? this time?? (1) ) faster than I used to do.. only what, 40-50 posts in that thread between the two of you? Contrast that with me and he(2), we've managed to spin out hundreds of posts in one (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Please don't call me Shirley. How does one explain the movie "Airplane" to anyone else? It's one of my favourite "funniest of all-time" movies... it comes across like the Stooges, but (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Gosh, was it that many? The amusing thing is that in my very first post I noted that my answers to him were not entirely serious, nor did they particularly represent my own viewpoint. As to the "again?? this time??" I must note that I don't (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Y'know, I've actually thought about Scott's communciation style here a little bit and my general impression is that he, like many of us, tries to read what is here and make reasonably quick responses without getting too bogged down in the (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Well said Richard. What I would endeavour to change in the above, though, is, well, let me put it this way-- Having a debate where one side says, "This, this, this, this and this proves my point" (of course, all 'this''s are backed up by link (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

Snipped for effect. (...) "Again" as in; you previously had it figured out, seemed to have gone through a patch just now where you didn't, and now you do have it figured out "again". NOT as in; you got into it with him before... Helps? (...) As far (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) I'm not sure I agree here. A bit of logic might help. If I assert: (-> == implies ) A -> B and B -> C and C -> D are all true , and thus A -> D is true and provide facts or evidence FAB in support of A -> B FBC in support of B -> C FCD in (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Very nicely put, Larry... However, my point was outlined with the second reasoning you made--that given a list of claims, (FEF1 (blood), FEF2 (DNA), FEF3 (motive), FEF4 (whatever)... FEFn) and one of those claims was refuted, it does not mean (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) David please do not mark up my words as you did in the next paragraph. It is confusing to the readership and extremely poor form. (...) Everything in parenthesis was added by David, and is incorrectly associated with the same inference. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Yeah, they botched the case alright... Frankly, I don't know who did this double homicide -- nor does anyone else as aptly pointed out by Larry. O.J. looks good for it, but I can't see why a person of his apparent means would do something like (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Everything in the *paragraph* was written by me and was *exactly* what I wanted to say with my first post about refuting an arguement by refuting one point--that by disputing one point of the list of evidence does not make *all* points null (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Thank you for the clarification, on rereading I see that they are your words, my apologies. Point still stands though. (...) A list neither IS nor ISN'T a sequence (or chain of inferences, note the difference). Further it neither IS nor ISN'T (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) If the point that still stands is "Everything in parenthesis was added by David", that is correct. If, however, the point that still stands is "and is incorrectly associated with the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Just for reference, I don't think "quoteth" is a word (TIMBW). Are you thinking of "quoth" perhaps? (...) Since you're on a laudable anti-postmodernist kick, I'll throw a PM word at you for your arsenal: Rhizome. In its basic meaning it (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) I would claim that the most correct answer to this problem in a math class is "I can't answer that question because insufficient information is given." A teacher who did give this problem though should award credit to anyone who provides an (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) I totally agree with the above two paragraphs, whether they're applied to you, or to someone else, anyone doing these things is doing off-topic.debate a significant disservice in my view, and really ought not to do that. What I would question (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) I am one of the people that I think Dave is talking about. And I don't know how to correct it. My perception is that in threads on fairly disparate topics in which both he and I have been involved, he has advanced arguments that look like: (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snip> (...) I love purple--is my favourite colour--coincidental that my high school colours happened to be purple and white! :) If you want to get really confused, I am technically (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)