 Off-Topic / Debate / 17478
Re: Criminal Justice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:19:14 GMT

what does "loss of society" mean?

Loss of that person's company; the loss of the relationship with that person.

If in either or both cases, the kid has no claim, then I'm not sure that it
makes sense for us to assume the kid has such a full claim to the assumed
income of the murdered parent.  I do understand that the removal of potential
wealth is different in nature, but the common thread is the child's claim on
the parent's life.

Well, I'm not sure that a child does either -- certainly not all of it.  But
there could be other claimants, like a spouse.  I think earlier in the
thread we were talking about ALL of the possible persons damaged by such a
loss.  Once we start talking about highly particularized instances, we may
also have to dispense with the generalities that no longer match the given case.

-- Hop-Frog