 Off-Topic / Debate / 17430
Re: Criminal Justice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:57:43 GMT

And actually, reading your pause above shows me a hole in the system.  What if
the victim has no family?  Is murdering one person cheaper than another?  Off
hand that sounds icky, but is it actually bad?  I guess I think it is!
Otherwise, we'd have a system that _officially_ values the lives of rich people
over the lives of the poor.

I think you are looking at the idea of equality with a slightly clouded lens...

We are equal under the law, and therefore due equal protection and liability
under the law.  We are NOT actually all equal in reality.

The life of a person has value of certain kinds under tort law (trying to
remember it correctly here): the wage earning potential of the person, and
the society of that person.  There may be more but I don't think it's just
the strict wage earning potential, I think there is more there...

What is protected under tort is what IS.  Society places no value to the
life beyond that which the person in question achieved in their life and by
which wage earning potential and the society of that person is estimated.

Being social creatures, we have allocated standing under the law to persons
that are usually immediate family members: fathers, mothers,
spouses/partners, and children.  A loner has no moving party that can go to
court for him or her and claim a loss.

The deceased has no claim but perhaps a value lost to society could be
allocated as a kind of automatic penalty in the absence of a proper
claimant, and such could be pursued against the criminal causing the loss.

-- Hop-Frog (still semi-lucid at 3 am)