 Off-Topic / Debate / 17433
  Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Well here's a test you can take to see if your opinion is worthy: (URL) (at least when you consider the topic and who must have created it) I couldn't take it using Netscape but had to use IE. BTW Richard, "illicate"? Is this some word whose (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Yes, it's a very sick feline creature living in the space between buildings. Wow, that was a bad one -- what could I have been thinking? Normally I would blame this on my increasingly annoying keyboard, but those letters aren't even close to (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) ~~~...~~~ Final Score: You are 28% geek You are a geek liaison, which means you go both ways. You can hang out with normal people or you can hang out with geeks which means you often have geeks as friends and/or have a job where you have to (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) you know what's lame? I got 48% geek, but the same text. Dan (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

I scored: ---...--- You are 21% geek OK, so maybe you ain't a geek. You do, at least, show a bit of interest in the world around you. Either that, or you have enough of a sense of humor to pick some of the sillier answers on the test. Regardless, (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) You are a geek. Good for you! Considering the endless complexity of the universe, as well as whatever discipline you happen to be most interested in, you'll never be bored as long as you have a good book store, a net connection, and thousands (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) I dunno ... they're both woefully inefficient and useless, wasting lots of gasoline and polluting the environment, and are almost never used for their supposedly intended purposes, but rather are used just for commuting or getting around town (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) I was more disappointed that they didn't have an "i have a segway, not a car" option 8?) ROSCO (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) I dunno either. My Miata gets over 30mpg. As far as space utilization efficiency goes unlike most 5-7 passenger SUVs, my car is always guaranteed to be at least half full. ;-) Of course it could be debated that a Miata isn't a real sports (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Me too. Seems I'm less geeky than I thought. If anyone calls me a geek again I'll point them to that quiz and tell them I only got 21%, which is just over 1/5th geek (damn, I think my geek rating just doubled!). Dan (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Ha! I got 68% :P Same text. No, I wasn't trying. (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Thank you, thank you, thank you! You and Rosco scored higher than I did! I was beginning to get nervous and had to rationalize that it was eating all that oatmeal for dinner to get the Quaker promo sets as well as my leftover habit from (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Miatas are roadsters, not sports cars. Roadsters are fine. It's sports cars I'm talking about. Especially ones like Tom Stangl has ;-) --Bill. P.S.: Speaking of roadsters, anyone want to buy my father's 1965 MGB? He passed away last fall and (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc. all refer to the Miata as a sports car, so forgive me if I value their opinion over yours. :-) But then, I consider my 1953 MGTD that I used to own a sports car... Bruce (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

(...) ergh? As a Dodge Neon racer, I have to have a big Dodge to pull the trailer with the Neon in it. Neon not enough of a sports car? Sure has enough dings and dents to qualify as having been seriously "sported". And if it doesn't qualify, then I (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

Psh. You don't know the sports car owners *I* do. I use my car several levels higher than it was intended ;-) While putting out over 1.5 times the stock horspower, I actually get BETTER gas mileage than stock (making more power generally requires (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

Thats's a special case ;-) Though you should have a Turbo Diesel Ram or other monster truck as your tow vehicle. Then again, if you have a Dodge Ram, that's not an SUV anyways. Not by the "real" definition ("Yuppiemobile that never has dirt on it (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) What's the story with SUVs and all this angst? I bought a Toyota RAV4 (I know, a baby SUV) the second year they were out and I drove it around town, on 20,000 miles of highway road trips and up 40 degree dirt and rock inclines. It was a great (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) All wheel drive equipped vehicles (Subarus, Mercury Mountaineers, etc.) have a center differential between the front and rear axles. 4WD equipped vehicles do not and shouldn't be driven over road with the 4WD engaged. -Rob. (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) See also (URL) have a Durango. I hate it, it gets very poor mileage. But we needed the number of seats it had as well as the trailer capability. Jo and I fight about whether she should drive it all the time. I argue that she should drive our (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) are you sure it isn't the other way round? That's always been my experience. (URL) a not too bad explanation. Manufacturers want this to be a confusing topic, it seems. I do agree, a part time 4WD should not be taken on dry pavement unless (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) I think Full Time 4WD and AWD are used synonymously (at least in the US), which implies that there is a center differential. FT 4WD is differentiated from standard 4WD usually on vehicles that offer both variants. I don't think there are any (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)

(...) No, it doesn't count as an"SUV", because you actually USE it as a UV ;-) It's only an "SUV" if it never ventures off the pavement. (...) Well, in the case of my 3 sports cars, they are AWD because they are ALWAYS powering all tires (though as (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

OK, so can catch up or even exceed many high efficiency cars by enhancing your sports car. But what if you made the same modifications to a Geo Metro or other high efficiency vehicle? --Bill. (...) (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...

A Metro would likely explode, and HE vehicles are already HE, there's not a whole lot more you can squeeze out of them. I'll stick with my overpowered monster that has better than stock efficiency, thankyouverymuch ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) (...) (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)