 Off-Topic / Debate / 15937
Re: A hypothetical economics question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

Again it would be patently unfair to change the rules.

If the rules are currently patently unfair, is it not patently unfair to • leave
them as is?

If they are, then yes, but if the losing side suddenly decides it doesn't like
the rules and wants to change in mid-game, you can bet it won't sit well with
the side that's ahead.  And no one will take the new rules seriously if they
are subject to change with no warning.

That's true to some extent.  But isn't it changing the rules mid-game every
time new laws are passed?  Obviously we're discussing a much larger change than
just adjusting our property tax rate up .25% to pay for school renovation or
somesuch, but the nature of the thing seems the same.

And didn't black people in the 60s want to change the rules mid-game because
they were the "losing side?"  Surely you don't think the civil rights movement
was a bad idea..?

Moreover, there would be no economic incentive to build new housing
units, so there will be no housing for growing populations.

That's silly.  People will do whatever kind of work is needed as determined • by
the market.  If housing is needed the market will provide it.

That's right, by gradually moving back to the system currently in place!

This is not the only possible system.  If it were illegal to borrow against
property -- if for instance all property were state "owned," then it wouldn't
better, just that it would be different and _maybe_ better if the difficulties
couldd be worked out.

I would reword your statement as: "There would be no opportunity to gather
wealth in wild disproportion to the work performed through investment in real
estate."  And frankly, I don't see the down side.

Actually I'd say, "There would be no opportunity to make the money you've
worked hard to accumulate do some work for you."  A disincentive for savings
and investment, which we all know is necessary to keep the capitalist economy
going!

I don't.  I've heard that before, but I am as yet unconvinced.  And anyway, I
think you're wrong.  It would not eliminate all investment.  Just real estate
investment.  I still don't see the down side.

Chris