 Off-Topic / Debate / 15912
Re: A hypothetical economics question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:47:50 GMT

What would happen if all debts public and private were just plain
cancelled as of, say, 1/1/2002?

I'd quit my job.

In all seroiusness, what would be the effects?

Many wealthy people would lose their perpetual income streams.  Many lower
middle class people would lose their perpetual debt streams.

I'd like to change your scenario a little.  What would happen if the place
where everyone lived instantly became their property (or at least rightfully
theirs to inhabit) with no debt on it?  And further, debt could not lien on
that property.

From the idealistic social viewpoint, I don't mind people being in debt for
their BMWs and toasters and European vacations nearly so much as for their
houses and educations.  But maybe I'm just revealing where 90% of my debt lies.
:-)

Chris