 Off-Topic / Debate / 15920
Re: A hypothetical economics question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:22:20 GMT

-- why the 20:1 ratio?  It seems like a bad idea to have a ratio instead of
just gold certificates and silver certificates and maybe a daily exchange rate.
Do you know the thinking behind the ratio?

You raise an interesting point -- I gather you think the true value is best
determined through daily market forces.  I am pretty sure the point of a
ratio rather than certificates traded for daily value has to do with making
the value static. If one trades X ounces of gold for a thing, one wants to
be pretty sure one is always getting the precise value one imagines.
Allowing the figure to be traded daily would perhaps needlessly burden users
of such a currency system with having to daily watch the commodities
markets.  Think of all the prices that could fluctuate daily if that were an
issue -- certainly high priced items, but also smaller ones I should think.

But again, would there even be gold and silver traded as commodities in such
a market -- why would anyone do that when one could just go score some metal
by trading in one's certificates?

-- Hop-Frog