 Off-Topic / Debate / 15877
Re: A hypothetical economics question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:00:36 GMT

What would happen if all debts public and private were just plain
cancelled as of, say, 1/1/2002?

Dave! are you coming over to the "Fight Club" side of debate?  This is
exactly what happens at the end of the movie...my fav part.

  It's a nifty visual, I agree.  I'm still not sold on the film for a number
of other reasons, but who wouldn't love the idea of someone swooping in to
negate our debts for us?  Ignoring for a moment the problem of destruction
of private property (ie, the buildings and equipment of the companies), I
suppose it must be recalled that such debts have resulted from contracts
entered into by the individual consumer, so the consumer should certainly be
held responsible for those debts (barring deception on the part of the
company).  This idea drifts from my initial question re: debt negation, alas.

***snip of some cool reflections***

I'm also aware that international debt would still need to be addressed,
and that the debate over the appropriate as-of date would be phenomenal.
Any thoughts?

Why would a special category exist for the national debt?  We could just
renegotiate it as do other rollover countries.

  Frank's post made me realize that I'd been carelessly vague in phrasing my
question, since there are debts and then there are debts.  I believe George
Carlin once suggested that, since the government has this domestic debt to
the people, and since "the people" are the government, we should just write
off the whole thing.  Not sure how feasible that would be, tho!

     Dave!