 Off-Topic / Debate / 15685
Re: Modern Libraries (was Re: Bad news for TRU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:55:40 GMT

(snip)

The first time I was in the building we work with (the main document
repository on the edge of town) we got the grand tour. In the restoration
room a guy was restoring the very things you are talking about - the lead on
the seals attacks the “ribbons” in some way. Truly impressive little things
– but very fragile.

This is interesting.  I've seen lead seals that were cracked, apparently
just by rough handling over the last 700 years, but the only problems I've
seen with the cords that attach them to the parchment is that the seals
themselves are heavy and can eventually wear out the cords, especially the
individual strands on the silk ones.  (Papal letters for my period have
2 types of cord -- a heavy hemp-like cord to attach seals to routine
administrative documents, and silk -- with multicolored strands, now
much faded -- for special grants of privileges).

I take it from your description that the building you work with is neither
the old Register House nor the West Register House, correct?

The main vaults were full off all sorts of stuff – some of it very
interesting, & some of it mind bogglingly mundane. The whole building was
designed not to fill until 2030. The new Scottish parliament means it will
be full by ~2005…

No surpise there -- nothing like modern governments to generate TONS of
documents.

Scott A