 Off-Topic / Debate / 15681
Re: Modern Libraries (was Re: Bad news for TRU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:46:51 GMT

(snip)

You are 100% correct (~ '88 is the best we get). For my field that is not
all that much of an issue - but for others it will be important.

Indecently, I work quite closely with the facility mangers at the National
Archives of Scotland, they are currently digitising a great deal of their
stock (the oldest is from 1127). Although this will help users, the main
reason was to reduce wear in the valuable texts.

Scott A

NAS : http://www.nas.gov.uk/homepage.htm
The 1127 document : http://www.nas.gov.uk/exhibitions.htm

Zowie!  My old turf!  I spent MANY hours in the Register House and the West
Register House in 1980-81 and again in 1987-88, trying not to put too much
additional wear on documents from this period.  Also lots of time nearby
at the National Library of Scotland.  Of course, troublemakers like me want to
ensure that you also digitize the BACK of the document, where the scribes put
notes, and so forth.  The staff at the West Register House once actually took
a 13th century papal letter out of the display case in the lobby so that I
could check up on the scribal notations -- very helpful people.