 Marketplace / Shopping / 8954
Re: Bad news for TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:11:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Timothy Carl Buchheim writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Ross Crawford writes:

Any info on the "Mission Possible" format they talk about? I don't think I've
seen that here in Australia. I'm not sure if TRU Aus is separately owned or
not.

The older TRU layout (in the US) was a lot like a supermarket.  A number of
parallel aisles, divided by tall wall-like shelving, which made the store feel
more like a warehouse and less like a store for children.

The newer layout is much more open and kid-friendly.  Only a few of the very
high shelves remain, and these tall units are used to divide the store into a
few large themed areas.  Within each area, shorter shelving units are used to
display products low enough for children to see.  This allows for better
lighting and a friendlier appearance.

  I've actually seen a couple different formats over the last couple years.
A couple years back they seemed to be switching the stores over to a layout
based on a large oval around the store.  Around the edges of the store the
high shelves mostly remained, and inside the loop was all lower shelves.

  Recently it seems that stores are switching back to a more "rectangular"
format.  The path around the store is angular again, and there is a mix of
high and low shelves both inside and outside the loop.  The "themed areas"
Timothy describes above have been a part of both of the new layouts.

  Anyway, I don't have any inside info, but this is the trend I've seen
around here.  I sometimes wonder if TRU spent less on endless renovations,
and more on rationalizing their supply chain, they might be in better
economic shape.

--Raymond Flournoy
flournoy@post.harvard.edu  Now the world speaks your language!  Chat in
Computer Science Dept.      Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese,
Stanford University, CA       English, & Italian at http://www.amikai.com!