 Off-Topic / Debate / 13120
Re: Who are we to judge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:30:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:

For all the talk of historical (and not too distant) connections between the
US and Bin Laden and others, this, today, seems to me to be a pretty black
and white issue.  Yes, we (through the efforts of our oh-so-lovable and
far-thinking CIA - admittedly during the Cold War) did help create some of
these messes.  But messes they remain, and they've just recently become
messes that killed several thousand of our people.

I expect people to clean up their own messes. Holds for my kids, holds for
litterers (I have in the past almost been punched for tossing cigarette
butts back into the open windows of cars that they just came out of :-) ),
holds for polluters, and it holds for governments.

If we *created* bin Laden's ability to be a terrorist (and I'm pretty
comfortable that we did, at least in large part if not completely), seems to
me we ought to clean it up. He's not playing nicely with the toys we gave
him, time to take them away. Too bad it took this long and this level of
provocation to realise it. And sending flowers ain't the way to do it.

That does NOT in any way conflict with my general, isolationist, "we are not
the world's policeman" stance.