 Off-Topic / Debate / 13057
Re: Who are we to judge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:33:29 GMT

There are some that say that it is not America's place to say we are morally
superior to terrorist regimes, that all cultures must be valued equally.

Those two statements are really quite different, and I see the whole as the
beginnings of a convoluted argument intended to illicit precisely the sort
of arguments I would mount against it.

The first part of the argument is related to one's political views -- I
happen to agree that we are not morally superior inasmuch as I believe that
the CIA is largely responsible for the world terrorist and torture networks
(did no one else see the TV special by the BBC/TLC the other night?  If you
didn't know it already, know it now that the U.S. created Osama bin Laden as
the problem he is today -- it's just that formerly he was our tool against
the USSR). So how can we, who created bin Laden, be morally superior to him
and his gang? Secondly, I also see no problem with valuing world cultures
equally -- Christian and Islamic cultures seem equally relevant to me. I
personally disagree with both cultures as regards some of their intrinsic
moral misconceptions.

I could not favor a terrorist regime under any circumstances.  Likewise, I
could not support a political agenda that creates terrorist regimes.  What
say you we do away with Osama bin Laden and all the political systems that
placed him in power?  Or does this cut too far, and too obviously points
back to us here in the USA?  Dr. Frankenstein, at least, had the good grace
to take responsibility for his created monster...and his monster also had a
not entirely unreasonable agenda (such interesting similarities).

-- Hop-Frog