 Off-Topic / Debate / 11494
Re: Conspiracy theories: little green men
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:22:39 GMT

i'm rather devided on the "want to believe" concept...

...the kid in me certainly thinks it a great idea to have aliens visiting
Earth and leaving advanced technology...

...however, the realist in me doesn't think it would be such a hot idea to
have an advanced civilization capable of deep space travel taking an
interest in Earth..."taking candy from a baby" comes to mind.

As far as our government acting with clarity, I have not observed a whole
lot of ideas coming from the White House...but maybe i've missed something.

Our current technology can also be held in question concerning the moon
landings...the inernet was originally developed for military use...who knows
what shadowy projects our technology has been used for...

As for me, I know I am convinced the moon landings are real, however, I only
believe because I've been taught thusly.

..."the more I know, the more I know I don't know"...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Could the moon landings have been faked, of course. However, I believe they
happened and seriously doubt there was a conspiracy regarding the matter. We
know the rockets went up and we have the first hand accounts of the
astronauts who rode them. Three men died in a cabin fire early in the Apollo
program. I don't think the U.S. government would spend that much money, and
sacrifice men in the public eye, all for an elaborate hoax. A hoax to what end?

As further proof, we live with the technologies (such as computers) that
were originally created for these missions. We know the space shuttle goes
into space and we see the pictures from orbit. We couldn't have got this far
without actually doing the things we did.

I think the more interesting theory is the Roswell stuff involving
extra-terrestrial beings and government cover-ups. Do I think it's possible?
Absolutely. Also, I can understand the need to hide it from the public for
fear of mass hysteria. I believe something unusual did happen in Roswell and
there were many witnesses. However, that's as far as it goes for me. I've
seen a UFO (in the strict sense of the acronym) before, but for all I know
it was an atmospheric phenomenon or meteorite that just happened to take a
long time and distance to burn up. But like Mulder, "I want to believe."

Dan