 Off-Topic / Debate / 11419
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:35:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

- snip -

Making sweeping generalisations about people who sell things, for example.

First of all, I would not define "class warfare" in this way.  To me, "class
warfare" sounds like a fight between the "have"s and the "have-not"s.
Calling this discussion "class warfare" implies that I am jealous of what I
don't have.  This is not the case.  Buying and selling is what a free market
economy is all about.  I recognize this, appreciate it, and participate in it.

While I may have made a generalization, I did not intend to do so, certainly
not against "people who sell things".  I have sold things in the past and I
have also happily purchased things in the past. I recall saying in another
post somewhere that my beef isn't with the people who buy and sell things
(in fact I appreciate being able to buy parts from parted out sets), instead
I am unhappy with those who snatch up every copy of a set that others would
normally be able to buy on their own.  We don't need these middlemen.  These
people know who they are, and I made no attempt to point any of them out.

I'm a person who uses his international contacts/connections and credit line
to buy in large quantity items that would otherwise languish and then
resells them at market prices to those individuals who are not similarly
positioned or who do not choose to spend the time and effort (and risk) to
do so.

That includes selling things at auction, and includes using venues like eBay
to seek market prices. I see my role as providing a valuable service rather
than as being a criminal, thank you very much.

I certainly was not calling you a criminal, and I was surprised that you
felt you needed to defend yourself.  In fact, a few days before my original
post I happened to be looking at your 'About Me' page on eBay and was
pleased to find the following statement:

Some of the stuff that other eBay sellers sell is readily available at
retail. That drives me crazy. Caveat Emptor! That means my advice to buyers
is to do your homework before bidding. I try to list my sources in every lot
I list. If you live in the US, try Lego shop at home for stuff...

Definitely some good advice.

++Lar

Bryan Beckwith