 Off-Topic / Debate / 11418
11417  |  11419
Subject:
What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Gerber writes:
From my usual source, the Libertarian propaganda (NOT spam, mind you, I
wanted it sent it to me, and I, as a regular participant of this group, feel
it's worthy of discussion, so people who initially label it as spam are rude
or clueless, take your pick) that I get in my email...

Come on, Larry. Look at it like whoever labeled it spam did: while YOU may
have requested it, lugnet.off-topic.debate did NOT request it...you posted
it for public consumption unbidden...that's why someone called it spam.
That's all (Well, and MAYBE to get your hackles up, but it wasn't me, so I
don't know 8?) )

People initiate topics all the time. Initiating a topic is, by nature,
unbidden, except perhaps in the larger context of the events of the day
raising awareness. So, then, any topic that is initiated by anyone can then
be labeled spam by any other participant? That's the result of carrying your
argument to its logical extreme.

If you think that's a correct outcome, fine but I still think it's rude to
do so. But somehow I suspect you don't actually think that.

As for doing things to get people's hackles up... this is a free speech
forum, true, but not all free speech is value add. Is it the mark of a
mature debater to do things just to get someone's goat? Is that an attribute
we want to foster here?

No, and no. It's not a mark I consider mature and it's not an activity I
would choose to see fostered here.

++Lar