 Off-Topic / Debate / 11455
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 19:09:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

I'm a person who uses his international contacts/connections and credit line
to buy in large quantity items that would otherwise languish and then
resells them at market prices to those individuals who are not similarly
positioned or who do not choose to spend the time and effort (and risk) to
do so.

That includes selling things at auction, and includes using venues like eBay
to seek market prices. I see my role as providing a valuable service rather
than as being a criminal, thank you very much.

I have *re* set the FUT to .debate... this is not a .general topic.

WARNING!  Compartmentalized Dork-dom ahead!  ;]

Larry, I'm not sure why you're so convinced this isn't a .general
topic.  The discussion was about general "market goings-on" for
LEGO.  By its "charter", lugnet.off-topic.debate is for non-LEGO
discussions, so this doesn't belong there (well, now "here", since
I've been FUT'ed).  The charter for lugnet.general seems to be
bang-on for the topic at hand, particularly the part that says:

   "...also, community-wide discussion of experiences and
   ideas (set collection,..."

That was exactly the topic at hand---both with the anecdote about
the LEGO flea market experience, and then the LEGO buy/sell trends.
Maybe you picked up on some sub-thread forming that you felt was
part of a larger picture and not exclusively LEGO-related.  But
for the most part I felt it was discussion that was perfectly
valid in lugnet.general.

Failing that, it could have been redirected to lugnet.market.theory
I suppose, or a lugnet.debate (as in on-topic), if we actually had
one.

I just get annoyed when perfectly on-topic discussions get sent
into lugnet.off-topic.debate instead of to a more appropriate group.
People almost seem to be against (on-topic) discussions around here,
despite the obviousness of the "don't read it if you're not
interested" option.  Exercising that option is what keeps me out of
lugnet.off-topic.debate..., as long as the perfectly good on-topic
threads don't get sent there!

In an act of desperation I have X-posted and FUT'ed this post
to lugnet.admin.general  ;]  This is mostly in case anyone has
any other thoughts about on-topic discussions getting booted
into off-topic land.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada