 General / 31535
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Beckwith writes:
In lugnet.general, Geordan Ballantree writes:
- snip -

I do agree with you on how annoying it is to see someone who just bought 80
copies of Mos espa podrace when you don't even have one, it's frustrating.
But the people who resell lego( I don't want to speak for them ) I think
find it fairly fun and a part of what the hobbie means to them.

I don't deny that people find it fun, and I don't mean to say that people
who resell LEGO are evil.  My beef isn't with those who are able to buy out
someone's collection and resell it.  Also, I don't mind those people who buy
a gazillion copies of common sets and resell them.  I can't deny that there
are parts in sets like the Rock Raiders Figures that people would like to
acquire lots of without buying the sets themselves.  In cases like that, I
definitely think that the people reselling the sets are a great benefit to
our online LEGO community.

I heartfully agree

What I don't like is when things come up like the accessory packs from S@H
(or even the Guarded Inn) and they are immediately snatched up for the sole
purpose of resale.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that we will see a flood
of Guarded Inns on sites like eBay, simply because the seller will probably
be able to get twice as much as they payed for them.  Probably more than
twice as much; I regularly see items like the 3033 Blue Tub going for
upwards of around $40, just because people don't realize that they can still
be bought in stores.

Yes I do agree with you on this. Some ebay auctioneer's are almost on the
verge of being criminals IMO because they rip people off by so much for
something so little. I know they can't control how much it goes for, but
they can't sell something for as much as they do without lying in the
description somewhere.

I am definetily not saying that all auctioneers do this, but I am saying
that their are a scarce few of them that blacken the name of other
auctioneers just for the sake of money.

Geordan

- snip again -

Again I don't want to speak for people who sell/resell etc, but
they wouldn't do it unless they found a little enjoyment from it right? You
don't apply for a job that you know is going to suck despite the fact that
it pays do you? No.

Again, I am not saying people don't enjoy it.  In fact, I know first hand
that there is great satisfaction in helping someone acquire a set they
haven't been able to find anywhere else.  Recently I sent four DUPLO Easter
Eggs to someone who couldn't find them in his area, and I can tell you that
I very much enjoyed helping him out and making a buck or two in the process.

So in conclusion, the people who buy/ sell on the market, probably do it
because it's fun and to them, is probably part of their lego "experience."
And another way to have fun with the hobbie we all love.

Agreed.

Geordan

Bryan Beckwith