 Off-Topic / Debate / 11420
Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:37:34 GMT

From my usual source, the Libertarian propaganda (NOT spam, mind you, I
wanted it sent it to me, and I, as a regular participant of this group, feel
it's worthy of discussion, so people who initially label it as spam are rude
or clueless, take your pick) that I get in my email...

-- start --

This past week, the New York-based First Amendment Center revealed that
a startling number of Americans are willing or eager to give the
government more control over speech and the press. Of the 1,102 adults
randomly surveyed by telephone across the nation:

* 46% said the press in America has "too much freedom to do what it
wants." By contrast, only 36% think there is "too much government
censorship."

* 71% think it is somewhat or very important for the government "to
hold the media in check."

I think that the government *does* need to step in in cases of public
interest and libel. Otherwise, if you don't like what you are reading - stop
reading. On the other hand, those are both restrictions, so obviously I feel
that governmental interference is necessary at some point. What that point
is and where the line is drawn, I can't answer at the moment.

The situation that comes to mind though, is the Dale Earnhardt autopsy
photos. Are they suitable for the general public? No. Are they suitable for
a third party investigation into the cause of the crash? Yes. I'm glad that
they have been sealed from public view out of respect for the family. Yes,
it violates the first amendment, but I feel it's justified to keep them out
of the general public's eye. I am curious to see what a third party examiner
has to say about the evidence present in the photos though...

* 39% agree "the First Amendment goes too far in the rights it
guarantees." That's up dramatically from just 22% who held that opinion
last year.

Wow! Where did that come from? I want to express what I want, where I want,
and when I want.

* 64% disagreed that "people should be allowed to say things in public
that might be offensive to racial groups," with 36% saying there should
be laws against such speech.

I wonder if they are referring to "hate speech" or something as innocuous as
an "off color" joke. I can see the temptation to limit hate speech, but I
think it's wrong. If someone wants to spout off filth and look stupid,
that's their choice. If I want to look like an ass for making a non-PC joke
in the wrong setting - that's my problem to deal with.

-- end excerpt --

That scares me. I think our current press is a bit slanted but I'd never
want to see it *restricted*!!!

ditto

Call me elitist if you like but ... Unfettered majority rule scares me.
People in large groups can be so clueless.

The genes that regulate common sense seem to be turning into recessive genes
if you ask me.

I did a little digging on the FAC, I beleive this is their URL:
http://www.freedomforum.org/first  and this is the survey in question
http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14257

This organization (based on my read of where they get their money) is not
particularly Libertarian, except inasmuch as the LP and libertarians share
their viewpoint that free speech is a good thing.

++Lar

-Duane