 Off-Topic / Debate / 11415
11414  |  11416
Subject:
Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:03:28 GMT

From my usual source, the Libertarian propaganda (NOT spam, mind you, I
wanted it sent it to me, and I, as a regular participant of this group, feel
it's worthy of discussion, so people who initially label it as spam are rude
or clueless, take your pick) that I get in my email...

-- start --

This past week, the New York-based First Amendment Center revealed that
a startling number of Americans are willing or eager to give the
government more control over speech and the press. Of the 1,102 adults
randomly surveyed by telephone across the nation:

* 46% said the press in America has "too much freedom to do what it
wants." By contrast, only 36% think there is "too much government
censorship."

* 71% think it is somewhat or very important for the government "to
hold the media in check."

* 39% agree "the First Amendment goes too far in the rights it
guarantees." That's up dramatically from just 22% who held that opinion
last year.

* 64% disagreed that "people should be allowed to say things in public
that might be offensive to racial groups," with 36% saying there should
be laws against such speech.

-- end excerpt --

That scares me. I think our current press is a bit slanted but I'd never
want to see it *restricted*!!!

Call me elitist if you like but ... Unfettered majority rule scares me.
People in large groups can be so clueless.

I did a little digging on the FAC, I beleive this is their URL:
http://www.freedomforum.org/first  and this is the survey in question
http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14257

This organization (based on my read of where they get their money) is not
particularly Libertarian, except inasmuch as the LP and libertarians share
their viewpoint that free speech is a good thing.

++Lar