 Off-Topic / Debate / 11422
Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:08:37 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:
* 46% said the press in America has "too much freedom to do what it
wants." By contrast, only 36% think there is "too much government
censorship."

* 71% think it is somewhat or very important for the government "to
hold the media in check."

Yuck. The only checks on the media should be free market and property
rights.

I think that the government *does* need to step in in cases of public
interest and libel. Otherwise, if you don't like what you are reading - stop
reading. On the other hand, those are both restrictions, so obviously I feel
that governmental interference is necessary at some point. What that point
is and where the line is drawn, I can't answer at the moment.

Protection against libel is a property right.

The situation that comes to mind though, is the Dale Earnhardt autopsy
photos. Are they suitable for the general public? No. Are they suitable for
a third party investigation into the cause of the crash? Yes. I'm glad that
they have been sealed from public view out of respect for the family. Yes,
it violates the first amendment, but I feel it's justified to keep them out
of the general public's eye. I am curious to see what a third party examiner
has to say about the evidence present in the photos though...

Things like autopsy photos should be adequately protected by property
rights. The family most certainly has property rights to the condition
of a deceased family member (said property rights being assigned by
default in the absence of a will or other documented express wish of the
deceased). Now if the cause of death is suspicious, the police may force
the family to make the autopsy photos available for investigation (or
even force the autopsy to be done in the first place).

I suspect this survey is somewhat skewed to produce alarming results (of
course it could also be skewed by those in favor of suppressing free
speech).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com