 Off-Topic / Debate / 11198
  When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) I would like to dig into this notion a bit more. I think there are situations where it is flatly incorrect to advocate this. I want to stay out of the particular situation that provoked the request and not use it as an example, but I would (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Ok. (...) :) (...) Well, ask yourself: Does my post, or my argument with this person, needlessly take away from the enjoyment of other users? Is this debate unnecessarily flooding the group? How many people am I currently engaged in argument (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:GFBCqy.Dw1@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) is (...) how (...) the (...) this (...) their (...) your (...) I think you should also start thinking even more carefully when others start emailing (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GFB6DI.KC7@lugnet.com... (...) of (...) that (...) is (...) how (...) I think it ALWAYS a reasonable course of action. That doesn't necessarily make it correct. But I think anything (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Interesting topic. I'd say there are a couple reasons to both keep it online and to take it offline. The reason to keep it online is it's a newsgroup. As long as the topic pertains to the newsgroup, it MAY be of public interest to someone now (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Hmmmm. I guess that doesn't really answer the question, does it? But following on from what I said I guess when the negative feeling generated by a discussion out-weighs any positive interest, it's time to start thinking about going elsewhere. (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) A large part of it seems to be the public performance -- if the only people who can see it are you and the person you're insulting, what's the point? But if you're caught in a cockfight it can be hard to back down without looking weaker, even (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) I think I know the post to which you are referring, and it was so well crafted that I doubt the moron in question will even understand he has been dissed (rather severely for that matter). Anyways, I don't think its right to ostracise a moron. (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

Some good discussion but nobody answered this question the way I expected, perhaps because I was a bit too subtle in trying hard to disengage from a particular situation (and Tim, you get marked down because you didn't stay general... :-) ) (...) I (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

I think we have discussed this before(?). I remember thinking that we are constrained by the attributes assigned to the "partisan" in the final para on this page: (URL) do not think the text I quote answers you question, because I doubt there (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Aint diversity wonderful? 8?) (...) Are you disappointed because you didn't get the answer you expected? Or just surprised? (...) Um, careful with the out-of-context quotes, Larry. I said "always a reasonable course of action". I then went on (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Well, would saying that mean that we would advocate keeping it public? I wouldn't. I'd just advocate dropping it, not spreading it into the public domain. (...) Again, are you suggesting that keeping it public would be better than keeping it (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) Sure. Let me clarify the above. If we consider a spectrum of discourse from perfectly normal well intentioned fact and issue centric debate at one end, on through somewhat worse all the way to vitriolic insult orient fact free flamage at the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?

(...) But not unreasonable. Sure, some others may miss out on stuff of interest, but I don't think that makes it any less reasonable. (...) Thats a sweeping statement, and not always true. Sometimes continuing a conversation privately *can* bring (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)