 Off-Topic / Debate / 11219
Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:11:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Some good discussion but nobody answered this question the way I expected,

Aint diversity wonderful? 8?)

Sure. Let me clarify the above. If we consider a spectrum of discourse from
perfectly normal well intentioned fact and issue centric debate at one end,
on through somewhat worse all the way to vitriolic insult orient fact free
flamage at the other end. Consider that spectrum. I think "take it to email"
as a useful (and, therefore reasonable) approach works for exchanges
somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. For ones that are at the first end
(AOK) it's not needed.

But not unreasonable. Sure, some others may miss out on stuff of interest, but
I don't think that makes it any less reasonable.

For ones at the other end it's not effective,

Thats a sweeping statement, and not always true. Sometimes continuing a
conversation privately *can* bring positive results. I think it's always
reasonable to try.

and
therefore not reasonable.

[snip]

When is an action that is not the right course, and which is
known to not be right in advance, a reasonable course?

Who decides in advance whether or not it's right? I think it's always
reasonable to try - whether it turns out to be right or not isn't known in
advance.

Answer that to see why I thought shorthanding "always a reasonable" to
"always" was equivalent. That is, I don't think it's always reasonable.

Understood. Just that the original mail asked about "always the correct
course".

ROSCO