 Off-Topic / Debate / 11207
Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:53:59 GMT

Some good discussion but nobody answered this question the way I expected,
perhaps because I was a bit too subtle in trying hard to disengage from a
particular situation (and Tim, you get marked down because you didn't stay
general... :-) )

When is this not an appropriate thing to do? Can you, the advocates of that
course of action, come up with examples of when it isn't? Why isn't it in
those cases? (or, alternatively, are you saying that "taking it to email" is
ALWAYS the correct course no matter how bad the social transgression or how
one sided it might be?)

I expected someone to answer "when it is obvious that taking it to email is
not going to do any good either" and the example I had in mind was the
massive disruptiveness of our spoofer.

ROSCO, you said "always". Can you explain to the group what benefit
continuing the flamefest with MM via email (as contrasted with shunning)
would have had to *anyone* other than MM, who would have been gettting his
jollies over it?

The appropriate response, IMHO, was the response that was taken by almost
everyone... Shunning, followed by administratively enforced ostracism. Duane
Hess was trying a different approach, of course, and it's one that, if only
practiced by one person instead of by everyone slugging it out, and if done
so dispassionately (props to Duane for pulling it off I think...) I think
was effective in that case in that it made it clearer that something needed
to be done.

Discuss.

++Lar