 Off-Topic / Debate / 11201
Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:54:14 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message

When is this not an appropriate thing to do? Can you, the advocates of • that
course of action, come up with examples of when it isn't? Why isn't it in
those cases? (or, alternatively, are you saying that "taking it to email" • is
ALWAYS the correct course no matter how bad the social transgression or • how
one sided it might be?)

I think in so answering you will form the basis for a fruitful discussion
about norms of behaviour.

Well, ask yourself:

Does my post, or my argument with this person, needlessly take away from • the
enjoyment of other users?
Is this debate unnecessarily flooding the group?
How many people am I currently engaged in argument with?
Has most of this debate already been hashed out?
Am I one of the only two people still lingering on this topic?
How much have I beaten this topic to the ground?
Would other users' sanity benefit from this *not* continuing?

Those are quick ones that I just made up.  I think that beyond a certain
point, continuing like that in public is rude and immature - no matter who
is right.  But, where is that point, and where was that line crossed in • this
case?  I think the line is fuzzy.  In this case, maybe the line was where
James posted, a few people agreed with him, and the two of you started up
again in that very thread.  I think sometimes discussions nitpicked to the
level we've seen here can damage a group, because it turns people off to
reading it and sends them away - diminishing the different people (and • their
respective viewpoints) we see.

For the sake of keeping the community together, there should be a sense of
what is appropriate and what is not appropriate for a public forum.  In • your
case, the issues seem to be pretty personal between you and Scott, so it
should be handled by just the two of you, and its unnecessary (and I say
annoying and damaging) to expose the rest of us to your disagreements.

I think you should also start thinking even more carefully when others start
emailing you *asking* you to take it out of the public arena...

Regards

ROSCO