 Off-Topic / Debate / 11206
Re: When is it appropriate to "take it to email" and when isn't it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:32:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

I don't think public shaming is useful or effective in newsgroups -- the
"best" result is alienation of the individual in question. Either someone
really is that stupid or clueless, in which case their personal tragedy
needn't become public fodder, or the person is baiting in which case they
shouldn't be encouraged. OTOH there was a hilarious post today that came
close to the line, and maybe it's okay if it leads to someone becoming more
self-aware. Is it okay to ostracise a moron? Discuss.

I think I know the post to which you are referring, and it was so well
crafted that I doubt the moron in question will even understand he has been
dissed (rather severely for that matter).

Anyways, I don't think its right to ostracise a moron.  That's why I've held
back (except for one post, only pointing out one thing about a previous
product line) in that discussion.  People have brought up good points about
our community - that we're elitist, that we pick on people who aren't so
bright, etc etc.  I think that human society by nature is elitist, and picks
on the dim bulbs.  Lugnet is just another reflection of that, because we are
all human (I think..) afterall.

What should we do with a moron?  Well, I think that if reason doesn't get to
them, a bit of coaxing in the right direction for proper social behavior
(like grammar, editing of text, quoting of text, and childishness) would be
the right thing.  If they don't respond to that, they can be ignored.

Now I suppose I have ostracised morons in the past, so I'm a bit of a
hypocrite there (but who isn't).  My statements above reflect my feelings
about how to ideally deal wth a moron, not what actually happens.  My gut
instinct in this case (the case of the hilarious post today, not the Scott
and Larry Show) is to rip the dude to shreds, but I know that's not kosher
around here, nor is it kind to the other poster.

Dealing with people who just don't get it is a pain in the rear end.  I wish
there were a magical way to get them all to go away, but there isn't.  And,
as a community, we should live up to our name as the 'friendliest place on
the internet.'

My .02

-Tim (smartly posting via the web interface now)